Friday, May 2, 2014

Words from Time Machine

Really Cool Words that are Important:


Cicerone(noun); a guide; a person whom conducts sightseers
"'I had no convenient cicerone in the pattern of the Utopian books.'"(273)

Deportment(noun); the manner in which a person behaves; demeanor
"'The serious people who took him seriously never felt quite sure of his deportment: they were somehow aware that trusting their reputations for judgement with him was like furnishing a nursery with eggshell china.'"

Frugivorous(adjective); to feed on fruit; fruit-eating
"'These people of the remote future were strict vegetarians, and while I was with them, in spite of some carnal cravings, I had to be frugivorous also.'"(248)

Incredulous(adjective); disinclined or unable to believe; skeptical
"'I remember vividly the flickering light, his queer, broad head in silhouette, the dance of the shadows, how we all followed him, puzzled but incredulous, and how there in the laboratory we beheld a larger edition of the little mechanism which we had seen vanish before our eyes.'"(231)

Occidental(adjective);  of, pertaining to, or characteristic of the Occident or its natives and  inhabitants; to have a certain heritage
"'I am to Occidental for a long vigil.'"(261)

Precocious(adjective); unusually advanced or ahead in development; mature
"'I judged then that the children of the time were extremely precocious, physically at least, and I found afterwards abundant verification of my opinion.'"(251)

Repugnance(noun); strong distaste, aversion, or objection; disgust
"'Then I saw the horror and repugnance of his face, and all of a sudden I let him go.'"(261)

Somber(adjective); grave; gloomy, depressing, or dismal
"'(couldn't find the word in the book)'"

No comments:

Post a Comment